Are You Ready for a Great Summer?
Become an Otonwe Day Camp Staff Member
Thank you for your interest in Camp Otonwe Day Camp. This day camp is owned and operated by Camp Wyandot, Inc and is located at the John Beltz Retreat Center near the Hoover Reservoir north of New Albany and Westerville.
The success of the program is, in large part, due to the quality of our staff members. The most important duty of the camp staff is to ensure campers are safe and happy. All Camp Wyandot camps are inclusive, welcoming and treat campers and staff equally regardless of gender, race, religion, or culture. Our camp is co-ed and campers generally range in age from 5 to 11 years old. Counselors will supervise a small group of 7 or 8 campers, carry-out their weekly schedule, and serve as a positive role model.
Mandatory Pre-camp Training: June 5 to 9, 2023 at Camp Otonwe.
Seven Camp Sessions: June 12 to July 28, 2023. Staff will need to commute to camp each day from Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00pm. Staff are expected to work the entire season and will have their evenings and weekends off.
Staff are expected to have the following minimum qualifications:
- Desire and ability to work with children in an outdoor setting
- Dependability, good judgement, and personal integrity
- Be organized and have a strong sense of responsibility
- Ability to relate to other staff
- Ability to teach children problem solving skills and social skills needed to participate successfully in a group.
- Ability to accept supervision and guidance
- Ability to teach activities
- Good character integrity and adaptability
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-control
- Prefer knowledge of outdoor activities, like hiking, nature, games and crafts.
- Assistant Director must be at least 21 or have an associate degree in a related field.
- Senior Camp Counselors must be at least 18 years of age or have graduated from high school. Some applicants with more experience may supervise junior counselors.
- Junior Counselors must be at least 15 years of age, completed the 10th grade or have previous experience working with children in a camp setting.
Salaries: Assistant Director salary range averages $450 per week, Counselors $350 to $400 per week, and Junior Counselors $275 to $325 per week.
A typical camper day runs from 9:00 to 4:00pm. Staff need to be at camp from 8am to 5pm. Parents my choose to register for an extended day from 8:30 to 4:30 pm. Campers check in and join their group for the day’s activities. Campers bring their lunch and occasionally have a cookout. The camp is mostly wooded but has an open field for games and a great creek for exploring. It focuses on the outdoor experience but has a large barn for indoor activities.
All staff must be willing to uphold Camp Otonwe’s values, goals, and policies. Employment is subject to a criminal history background check, reference checks, and verification of ability to work in the United States. Camp Wyandot is an equal opportunity employer.
Working as a counselor is rewarding experience. Being enthusiastic, reliable, and able to build good relationships with children are essential traits of a good camp counselor. If you’re patient, energetic and want to make a difference in the lives of children, we’d like to meet you.
COVID-19 considerations: Camp Otonwe will follow the American Camp Association, state and the CDC guidelines during the summer season.