The most important person at camp is the camper! Camp Wyandot Directors stress importance on doing our best to meet the needs of your child. It is our goal to provide a memorable summer camp experience!
Therefore, each counselor is interviewed by the Director and is required to pass a background check prior to employment with Camp Wyandot.
The next step in the process of preparing counselors to care for your child is training. From dawn until dusk, for ten days, counselors go through a structured training program leading up to the first week of camp.
The training of counselors includes all aspects of daily camp life. In other words, each counselor will have a first-hand opportunity to experience everything we do at camp. They will all have a chance to learn and teach all the camp activities.
Additionally, our staff training will include a session on diversity and behavior management.
The following Topic Areas are part of Staff Training for the 2023 season:
- Counselor Roles/Responsibilities
- Risk and Emergency Protocols
- Camper Health Procedures and First Aid
- Creating an Inclusive and Welcoming Environment
- Behavior Management and building Social Skills
- The First Day and Preparing for Bedtime
- Procedures for meals in the Dining Hall
- Singing and leading songs
- Camp Wyandot History
- Team Building
- The Progression in Outdoor Living Skills Awards Program
- The Progression in Nature and Conservation Awards Program
- Arts and Crafts
- Swimming, Boating, and Water Safety
- Archery Skills and Safety Procedures
- Flag Raising/Lowering
- Closing Council Fire and Reflections
- Evening Programs
- and more!